I recently picked up a new iPod Nano and needed to get music off my old iPod onto the new device. Unfortunately I also recently had a hard drive crash on the laptop that held my iTunes library. Here are the steps I used to pull music off my old iPod onto my new laptop and ultimately onto my new Nano.
- Plug in the IPod you want to copy music from
- In iTunes, select your iPod from the left hand menu "Devices > Your iPod". Under "Options" check the box "Enable disk use"
- Open a new Finder Window and you should see your iPod listed under devices
- Navigate to "Your iPod > iPod Control"
- Copy the Music folder to your drive. Let it finish.
- The Music folder needs to be "un-hidden" before you can import it into iTunes. Open a terminal window and navigate to the folder where you copied the Music folder. Run the following command to unhide Music
- In iTunes select "File > Add to Library"
- Select the Music folder
- Music from your iPod should now be copied to your library. When it's finished you can plug in a different iPod and sync your music.
$ chflags -R nohidden MusicThe folder should now be accesible in iTunes
Hope this helps.